h Sophisticated Hobo sc
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Wet N' Wild

I am one lucky little bitch.

I had a near-death experience yesterday.

... ok so actually it was more an experience that caused me to flash forward in time to visualize that my next near-death experience would be at the hands of my boss... both of which would be wrapped around my neck in a death grip borne from panic.


But still. I wanted to die. It all started out innocently enough. I was at my desk plodding away at work and minding my own business. I reached over and picked up my water bottle to have a drink..



... and right after I took a sip I had a case of uber-dropsy.

I spilled the bottle of water right on top of my laptop's keyboard.

"FFFFUUUUDDDDGGGGEEEE!!!" *censored*

I flipped the laptop over, turned it off, ripped out the power cord and battery, and popped off all the keys off the keyboard to get the water out.

It was only while staring down at the backside of my work computer lying flat facedown with water bubbling off the edge of the desk that I started wondering what the hell I was going to do.

ah, timing.... My phone rings. It's my boss, wondering if I've gotten the imports uploaded yet....


*my high-pitched everything-is-fine voice* "Yep, almost ready to submit it, I just need to verify a few of these Area Manager assignments first..."

I had to have 98 new Kmart and Sears locations imported by the end of the day. CRAP.





Behold, my tiddlywinks:



As luck would have it, we'd just received a laptop via fedex from an employee on the East Coast that we'd just fired. *gasp* Could it be? The same model laptop? YESSSSSS!!!

Out came the hard drive from my wet laptop, and into the new arrival it went. Stroke of Luck #2: All of the changes I'd made to my database were still there, thanks to Autosave!

The wet laptop is still in pieces on top of my shelf, slowly drying. Tomorrow I'll replace the keys (the plastic mechanics behind them are amazing - and annoying as hell without tweezers) and the other hard drive. Maybe Friday I'll see if it turns on.... or perhaps I should wait until Monday just to be SURE.


Note to self: Laptops cannot swim. Do not depend on them to save you during flash floods.

 
posted by isadanceaholic at Wednesday, May 24, 2006 | Permalink |


0 Comments:


***Before commenting, please recite:***
"Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.