h Sophisticated Hobo sc
Friday, March 14, 2008
Do You See?
I never cease to feel a sense of satisfaction when I expose someone to the West Coast Swing world for the first time and watch as their initial social presumptions are stripped away and replaced with newfound bewildered interest.

It irritates me just a little when they tug at my sleeve and whisper in my ear, “Wow, look at that huge / unattractive / dorky / old person!”

Only a little. In a moment things will change.

Ssshhh. “Just watch,” I tell them.

When the music starts and they begin to move, you forget.

Forget that they are the three-hundred-pound individual that just put on their tiny dance shoes. There they are, gliding across the floor with grace and fluidity that could rival a modern-day Fred Astaire.

Can you still recall that they are the sixty-something year old woman who just put her sparkly shawl and matching handbag onto a chair before stepping onto the crowded dance floor? She’ll make you wish you were rocking out to the Ne-Yo song right there next to her.

Maybe you brushed past the eight-year-old boy in the hallway without giving him a second glance (except wonder where his mother is); but there he is on the edge of the floor with a woman nearly half again his height, dancing like he is the best *man* on earth

You forget that the most socially awkward guy in the whole room can’t hold a conversation with a girl to save his life, because when he takes her hand and speaks that silent but expressive language of dance it isn’t important who he can or cannot talk with.

You forget, because on the dance floor it doesn’t matter anymore. Watching them dance will erase any misconception you ever may have had. They will captivate you, fascinate you, and leave you wanting more.

Being how if they can do it, so can you.
 
posted by isadanceaholic at Friday, March 14, 2008 | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At Friday, March 14, 2008 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I love this. So very well said.

     
  • At Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Kudosta! Though you should appear at more dances so that I may witness this firsthand :).

     
  • At Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Beautifully written, Erica! Your words make me want to share this with someone who hasn't yet been exposed to WCS. Having just watched you in the HDDC Strictly A contest with Sean tonight, your grace and fluidity inspire me, and your words make that inspiration even more meaningful. ~Rhonda

     
  • At Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Beautiful sentiment E!

    When I started, very few people paid me any mind, say yes, or fewer still would actually ask me to dance. Now I remember those people very affectionately, and now that I not the horrifying dance you, or others, might remember me being, I make the effort to make sure the new ones, awkward ones, and in general everyone, gets a chance to muck up the hardwood. :)

    Thanks for being one of those people who makes an effort to make the new people feel welcome. As someone who was there once, it means a lot to know someone still tries. :)

     
***Before commenting, please recite:***
"Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.