h Sophisticated Hobo sc
Monday, April 16, 2007
With Friends Like That...

"Why won’t you talk to my daddy?”

With the accidentally impeccable timing that only a 4-year-old can muster, a little boy managed to ignite my emotions only moments before it was my turn to go on the dance floor and compete this weekend.

I guess “Daddy” forgot to mention that he was the one who told me to go screw myself and to not talk to him ever again.

I’m tired of settling for friends who aren’t really interested in being friends. It is an oxymoron that has become a rampant reality. Instant Messaging has given birth to not only the social networking phenomenon but also has deceptively redefined the meaning of personal relationships. Everywhere are people aiming to break some insane record of trivial superficiality.

I’m tired of the social game. Who likes to be crapped on? Maybe I am just too gullible and thought I was dealing with a true friend when I was really dealing with a fake friend – and I let it hurt me. A lot.

When you’re single, the next closest people to you are your friends. So they become those that break your heart the most. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Am I looking for something that doesn’t exist anymore? Quality friendships?

What was I supposed to say? “Because your daddy is a shallow jerk?

I swallowed some pride and fought the pressure building in my throat as I looked down into the fathomless big eyes of a little boy who possessed the naïveté of one who doesn’t know very much about the world yet, but knows enough about people to know that something is wrong:

...“I don’t know, sweetie.”

 
posted by isadanceaholic at Monday, April 16, 2007 | Permalink |


0 Comments:


***Before commenting, please recite:***
"Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.