h Sophisticated Hobo sc
Monday, July 24, 2006
Work: The Curse of the Drinking Classes

Has anyone claimed Workers Comp, successfully, for a developing bald spot from tearing their hair out, repeatedly? I am getting this bitter feeling that I am being paid WAY less to do what I do than I should be getting paid... Is this what its like with real, salaried jobs? To persistently feel taken for granted and blindsighted into being happy with a meager salary rather than a sum of money that one would be proud and inspired to work for??

I'd think that I was just being whiny if it wasn't for certain happenings, like a girl promoted into a position that is nowhere near the level of effort it takes to
"WORKfascinates me.
I can sit and look at it
for hours
and hours."
do my job. Within two months of starting her first day at the company. For pretty much the same salary that I was gloriously offered a few weeks beforehand. Did I mention that she hasn't done SH*T since she started her new position and that other people are constantly covering her tasks for her so that it all gets taken care of? Trust me, I am not the only one in the company who has noticed this. Hey! I have a great idea - let's hire someone and give them a raise BEFORE they've proven themselves to be more competent than your desktop pencil sharpener. *the aforementioned competency has yet to reveal itself....* Maybe that is what is chapping my hide. Or maybe it is how I find this odd pattern that since my 'promotion' my paychecks have actually been pretty much the same as they were before - only this time I don't get compensated for any overtime.

FLSA at its finest.... Hence why I have begun to habitually pack up and go home at precisely 4pm every day. "What? Oh no, I'm sorry.. it's 4pm. I can't do anything until 7:30am tomorrow. Signing that FLSA form nixed my overtime potential, you know."



 
posted by isadanceaholic at Monday, July 24, 2006 | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Poor E. You and Clark will have lots to talk about, he sees other people get away with all kinds of shit too. Me, well, they don't pay me enough to get my hundred percent so I guess I side more on the side of slacker. I do, however, make sure all my "real" work is done, I just don't go looking for extra work.....

    Don't let work drive you crazy. It is just there so that you have money to do what you really love in your spare time. Work should never dictate your entire life. Or, as my mother says "It is called work because it's not fun and that's why they have to pay you to do it.":)(For reals, she says that)

     
***Before commenting, please recite:***
"Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.