h Sophisticated Hobo sc
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
O Ye Who Look The Other Way
At a dance event this weekend, I experienced a phenomenon that I've witnessed before. I don't understand why it is happening, but even worse, I don't understand why most of the time nothing is being done about it.

Contained within the pages of the Official Competition Rules at most WCS dance events is a paragraph that goes something along the lines of:

"BEHAVIOR (RESPONSIBILITIES AS A COMPETITOR) - All Competitors must demonstrate courteous and professional behavior at all times, both on and off the competition floor. This includes treating your partners, other competitors, competition officials, spectators, and the event itself with respect. Demonstrating a poor attitude by behaving in ways that judges deem inappropriate or disrespectful in any way may result in a violation, penalty, or disqualification."

Now can someone please shed some light on why there seems to be an increase in occurrences where both competitors choose to ignore the aforementioned rule and judges seem to overlook those behaviors which are labeled as a no-no according to event rules?

At the event this past weekend I saw a competitor deliberately crumple up some of the other competitors' numbers while giving a "good luck" pat on the back during the pre-dance lineup. He even did it to *my* partner's number. He went on to win the competition with his partner.

During a different competition's pre-dance lineup, one of the finalists grabbed the microphone away from the emcee and made an attempt to rile up the crowd by shouting "Are you guys excited???" They ended up placing. I can't even imagine what was going through the minds of the shocked audience members. Even worse, what the emcee was thinking when he was wondering where his mic went...

After the event was over, another dancer asked me over dinner what I would have done if I was judging the competition(s).

I don't fully believe that a person should be judged on anything other than their dancing when in a dance competition - to a point. On the other hand, when the rules so blatantly outline what is acceptable and what is not, why is enforcement not exercised when things like what I just mentioned happen? The music may not have started, but the competitors are on the dance floor and the entire audience (along with all those judges) is watching them.

There is a fine line between jovial behavior meant to lighten the mood and rude behavior that can really hurt people's feelings and shed a negative light on higher-level (and some lower-level) dancers. As time goes by, why does the line seem to be crossed more frequently? More importantly, why isn't more being done to curb the behavior? More people are noticing, and I believe that other people are participating in it too because they think it might be accepted/cool/whatever.

Why is it still being tolerated?

For sanity's sake, please don't get me started on the US Open "toilet paper" incident...
 
posted by isadanceaholic at Tuesday, August 05, 2008 | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At Monday, August 18, 2008 5:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I was at the event in question and saw the offenses you described and I completely agree with you. The competition has become more and more "show" and less and less "dance" in the short amount of time I've been dancing. I totally believe what you're seeing is done to increase the amount of "show" in their dance.

    Although I will say that the event in question is probably one of the least.. umm.. professional.. events of its size I've been too.

     
***Before commenting, please recite:***
"Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.